In this post, we will see the book The Main Trends in Philosophy: A Theoretical Analysis of the History of Philosophy by Teodor Oizerman.
This monograph is a theoretical investigation of the process of the history of philosophy. The author examines the polarisation of philosophical systems in their main trends, viz., the materialist and idealist. He traces the struggle between materialism and idealism on the basis of the dialectical-materialist conception of the history of philosophy, and brings out the scientific and cultural-historical significance of dialectical materialism in present-day world philosophical thought.
The book was in 1979 awarded the Plekhanov prize under the decision of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
The book was translated from the Russian by H. Campbell Creighton, and was published by Progress Publishers in 1988.
All credits to IA user Kahonor
The Internet Archive link
Part One. THE BASIC PHILOSOPHICAL QUESTION AS A PROBLEM OF THE HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY
I. THE SENSE AND MEANING OF THE BASIC PHILOSOPHICAL QUESTION 19
1. The Basic Philosophical Question and the Problematic of Philosophy 19
2. Self-Awareness and the External World. The Epistemological Necessity of the Basic Philosophical Question 22
3. On the Origin and Development of the Basic Philosophical Question 33
4. The Basic Philosophical Question: Objective Content and Subjective Form of Expression. The Real Starting Point of Philosophical
II. THE TWO SIDES OF THE BASIC PHILOSOPHICAL QUESTION 54
1. The Ontological Aspect: the Materialist Answer to the Basic Question 54
2. The Oncological Aspect: a Contribution to the Delineation of the Idealist Answer to the Basic Philosophical Question 74
3. The Epistemological Aspect. The Principle of Reflection and the Idealist Interpretation of the Knowability of the World 87
4. The Epistemological Aspect. The Principle of the Knowability of the World and Philosophical Scepticism 104
Part Two. PHILOSOPHICAL TRENDS AS AN OBJECT OF RESEARCH IN THE HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY
HI. THE DIVERGENCE OF PHILOSOPHICAL DOCTRINES AND ITS INTERPRETATION. METAPHYSICAL SYSTEMS AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE ANTITHESIS BETWEEN MATERIALISM AND IDEALISM 138
1. Dispute about Trends or Dispute of Trends? 138
2. Metaphysical Systems. Spiritualism and the Naturalist Tendency 155
3. Materialism — the Sole Consistent Opponent of Speculative Metaphysical Systems 165
4. Kant’s Transcendental Dualist Metaphysics 173
5. Toward a Critique of Irrationalist Speculative Metaphysics 184
6. The Dispute between Materialism and Idealism and Differences in Understanding Speculative Metaphysics 195
IV. THE GREAT CONFRONTATION: MATERIALISM VS IDEALISM. THE ARGUMENTS AND COUNTERARGUMENTS 215
1. The Struggle of Materialism and Idealism as an Epochal Cultural and Historical Phenomenon 215
2. Idealism vs Materialism. Materialism vs Idealism. Results and Prospects 234
3. The Dialectical-Materialist Critique of Idealism. The Epistemological Roots of Idealist Fallacies 262
4. The Dialectical-Materialist Critique of Idealism. The Principle of the Partisanship of Philosophy 274