Handbooks of Mathematics

However, it is well to bear in mind that neither handbook, nor textbook alone suffices  to give the reader a knowledge of the subject: he must use pencil and paper and work through the examples and problems for himself.

This is how the the preface of the Mathematical Handbook – Elementary Mathematics by M. Vygodsky ends. The book has about 420 pages and was first published in 1979 by Mir Publishers. The book I have is the fourth reprint in 1984 and was translated from Russian by George Yankovsky. This book has been reprinted by Visalandhra (last reprint 2005) and CBS (2004) both. In fact you can still purchase the Elementary Mathematics handbook from Flipkart for just Rs. 80.

The book has following sections

Tables,Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry (Plane and Solid), Trigonometry, Functions and Graphs

The current scan is from VisalAndhra Publishing House 2005 print. The scan quality is not very good.

All credits to the Original Uploader

No OCR | 426 pg.  | No Cover | No bookmarks

You can get the book here.

Handbook and Textbook:

An attempt has been made to combine the merits of both books in one text.

If this Handbook caught your attention then the Mathematical Handbook – Higher Mathematics by Vygodsky must seen. The book has about 820 pages, almost double the size of the one on Elementary Mathematics.

The English translation was first published by Mir in 1975. The one I have is Fourth Reprint in 1984, and translation is by George Yankovsky.

This book is with me since I needed to have a Reference book for Mathematics. The Preface says:

This handbook is a continuation of the Handbook of Elementary Mathematics by the same author and includes the material usually studied in a mathematics course in higher educational institutions.
The designation of this handbook is twofold.
Firstly it is reference work in which the reader can find definitions (what is a vector product) and factual information, such as how to find the surface of a solid of revolution or how to expand the function in a trigonometric series, and so on. Definitions, theorems, rules and formulas (accompanied by examples and practical hints) are readily found by reference to the comprehensive index or table of contents.

Secondly, the handbook is intended for systematic reading. It does not take the place of a textbook and so full proofs are only given in exceptional cases. However, it can well serve as a material for the first acquaintance with the subject.

This book is listed in Flipkart for Rs. 388/-, but is currently unavailable. I do not know if there are any translations of these books in Indian languages.

The Higher Mathematics handbook has a photo with autograph, no details about the photograph are given.

I think the photo is of the author M. Vygodsky, but I am not sure. If anyone knows whose photo it is, please let me know. [P.S. Sanjay has told [see comment] that this photo is indeed of M. Vygodsky]. The paper of the book was considerably yellowed, so this photo of that page, is no that good. But I have tried my best, to present it.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in books, mir books, mir publishers, soviet, used books and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Handbooks of Mathematics

1. s.sanjay says:

dear damitr,
    the photograph surely is of M. Ya. Vygodsky. in the cyrillic alphabet, it is written as М.Я. Выгодский . he has simply signed off his name in italics (which are written slightly differently).

2. damitr says:

Dear Sanjay,
    Thanks for the input!

D

• Fake Name says:

Damitr,

Do you have any links to the Higher Mathematics Handbook? Devender kindly provided the link to the Elementary Mathematics handbook.

3. Pingback: Handbook of Elementary Physics | Mir Books

4. Devender Singh says:

the link for this book is:-
    & I have downloaded it checked it………………
    well, I appreciates ur work on MIR publishers …………….

5. somen says:

anyone can link to little mathmatics library book particularly euler characteristic,and unusal algebra .i have heard that these are awesome book .

6. somen says:

anyone can provide link to “little mathmatics library” books particularly euler characteristic,and unusal algebra .i have heard that these are awesome book .

7. somen says:

dear damitr
    plz provide link to – mathematical handbook higher mathematics

8. Dr. Lalit Patil says:

Great thread. Waiting for more links.

9. sachin kharat says:

need a ebook link for mathematical handbook – higher mathematics…. i have hard copy of elementary mathematics…

10. sanits591 says:

Hi Damitr
    You have posted a wide collection of MIR publications which is admirable since ages. I have some e-books (Physics and Mathematics) which are in russian, and would like to get this in English. I have searched a lot but in vain.

Can you help in getting these books in english. If it is possible then i shall post the links of these books, so that a large collection of the MIR publications can be built up on the net and everyone can be benefited out of this rare collection of books.

I am reachable on my e-mail at sanits591@yahoo.com

Thanks!

11. anthropos says:

Is the higher Vygodsky available by any chance?
    Absolutely enthralled by the terminology, perspective & sidetracks into linguistics within the Elementary book.

12. Another desi says:

Hi Damitr and all,

Where can I find Algebra can be fun.

Thanks

13. ramani krithivasan says:

Dear Another desi,

It is available at this site itself. you can download it

14. Mahesh says:

Hi Damitr!
    I too have hard copy of elementary mathematics of m vygodsky
    but i am eagerly waiting for its higher part
    i mean Higher Book of Mathematics by M Vygodsky
    Please put it on the site as soon as possible.
    Thanx a ton:D

15. Ganesh says:

Hi Damitr!

Can you help me getting handbook of Higher Mathematics. Is there any hard copy available? Give me link to that book or plz post, if possible

16. chemicalfox says:

This is a great place to find Mir Books. Good Job Damitr!! However , I would like to read more soviet books about chemistry, chemical ingineering, chemical process industries, metallurgy and metallurgical ingineering in mirtitles.org, especially this one: “Handbook Of Analytical Chemistry” of Ju. Lurie, translated from the russian by Nicholas Bovrov. I will apreciatte it so much!

• Lewis Brown says:

I have just found your interest in Ju.Lurie’s Handbook Of Analytical Chemistry.
      By sheer coincidence I have this and other MIR books currently on auction at Ebay:-
      You are cordially invited to browse my listings. Also you are invited to visit my (non scientific) website http://www.africard.co.uk
      Similar MIR and other publishers scientific books (Chemistry, Electronics and Maths) will be added shortly. I’m having a retirement clear-out.

Kind Regards
      Lewis
      lowline4mat (Ebay ID)

17. MURUGAN S says:

I NEED THE HIGHER MATHEMATICS BOOK BY M.VYGODSKY

18. lalit says:

god is dodsky

19. yh says:

I have elementary mathematics book.. its really great book .I really want higher maths one

20. amal says:

please : i want this book. can you give me new link please

21. Javier says:

I am looking for this book. Problems in Elementary Mathematics for Home Study. If you have where or how to get it , let me know . please

22. herbertjf says:

Hi damitr, please can you update a new link, because the last one is offline.

Thanks so much

Herbert – from Brazil

23. Mahesh says:

hi, please provide a link for Higher Mathematics Handbook

24. G. Thulasiram says:

Hi,
    Is there a copy of Mathematical Handbook – Higher Mathematics, available?

Thanks,
    Thulasiram

• EDMILSON RODRIGUES DA SILVA says:

Looking foward to the mathematical handbook higher mathematical pleaseee
      Edmilson, Brasil